Friday, March 11, 2016

My Jackson Pollock

I recently talked about our trip to the Jackson Pollock exhibit at the Dallas Museum of Art. 

I love to go somewhere on a trip and then keep a memory of that trip out in the house where I can see it for a while. It's like bringing a tiny piece of the bigger world into our sweet little world here at TCG. Then, each time I pass by that memento, it whispers to me, "remember when we.......".  

Sometimes, that memory comes in the form of a painting and since Jackson Pollocks sell for millions of dollars, I had to make my own. 

Step 1: Ask your sweet husband to get you a large canvas(30' x 40') from Hobby Lobby when he is in Monroe. Apply two coats of  ordinary craft paint. Apply one final coat of craft paint mixed with a glazing medium.

Mask off a portion of the canvas with painter's tape.

Cover the outside border with butcher paper.

Place the canvas on the floor. Pollock said he became part of the painting when he put it on the floor because he could approach it from every side, rather than look at it on an easel.  Then just pour paint. I used a wide mouthed plastic cup. I preferred the Pollock pieces that had wider ribbons of color, so I was trying for that effect.  

Keep applying different colors always standing at a different place around  the canvas. I also used containers with smaller apertures to apply the paint, but all I ever did was just pour! If you want some splatter marks when you pour, hold your container way up high.

Let your work dry for a couple of days before removing the tape. I used a razor blade to lay on top of the paint next to the tape ensuring a clean removal of the tape.
  Now when I walk by the fireplace, I hear a faint whisper saying, "Remember how much fun we had in Dallas..."


Love ya'll, 
Shelli

We do not remember days; we remember moments. 
~Cesare Pavese, The Burning Brand

No comments: