Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Death In The Family

Well, we start this week off with some bad news from Turkey Creek Garden .........

Reba, one of our sweet hens has died.  She was always the first one to come jump in my lap. I think this was because she was also the one who always found a way out of the chicken yard. The minute she got out, she would realize she wanted back in!  She would squawk and squawk until I came out to the garden to see what was going on. Then she'd come running up to me, and sort of squat down so I would pick her up and return her to her sisters. 


Here she is, the Buff Orpington.
I think she became egg bound. She had "laying issues" in the past and although I did everything I could read for egg bound chickens, I could not save her. A trip to the coop didn't seem the same for a few days, but I think the three remaining girls and I have slowly gotten over it.





We'll miss you Reba!!


Love ya'll,
Shelli

Let life be as beautiful as summer flowers
And death as beautiful as autumn leaves.
~Rabindranath Tagore

No comments: