Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Jackson Pollock




Last week I went to Dallas to spend a little time with my sister, Jamie, and her family.  While there, we went to the Dallas Museum of Art to see the Jackson Pollock exhibit. Now Jackson Pollock is the original paint splatter/drip artist. Here's what www.biography.com says about him:

Born on January 28, 1912, in Cody, Wyoming, artist Jackson Pollock studied under Thomas Hart Benton before leaving traditional techniques to explore abstraction expressionism via his splatter and action pieces, which involved pouring paint and other media directly onto canvases. Pollock was both renowned and critiqued for his conventions. He died after driving drunk and crashing into a tree in New York in 1956, at age 44.

I honestly thought that I would get tired of paint splatters after just a few of his paintings, but they were actually fascinating.  It was a challenge to imagine the sequence of layers he used to attain the end result. We really enjoyed the exhibit. Here are a few of the paintings.



If all of the paintings had been this kinetic, I don't think my poor brain could have looked at many, but some of Pollock's works were much calmer and actually very intriguing.





My niece looks like she belongs in the painting.

Jackson Pollock's self-portrait.
The artist with his self-portrait.
Now for a chance to make a Jackson Pollock painting of you own, go to......


Love ya'll,
Shelli


It has been said that art is a tryst, for in the joy of it maker and beholder meet.
 ~Kojiro Tomita

No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. ~Oscar Wilde

When my daughter was about seven years old, she asked me one day what I did at work. I told her I worked at the college — that my job was to teach people how to draw. She stared at me, incredulous, and said, "You mean they forget?"
 ~Howard Ikemoto

No comments: