Friday, May 8, 2015

Mother's Day



Remember the day your first child was born and you became a mother.... 

How do you "be" a mother?


 None of us really knew.  We may have read books, talked with our own mothers, relied on the advice of friends, but being a mother was just something that we were going to have to learn through trial and error over the course of many years.


I'm sure we can all remember our "mothering" highs and lows. Some decisions turned out perfectly!! While others, that in the moment seemed loving, wise, and correct, came back to haunt us when we laid our heads down on our pillows at night and made us think, "Oh lord, I got that all wrong! I wish I had......" 


Miraculously our children survived our novice, but well-intentioned mothering and grew into the most wonderful people who fill us with pride and joy.  Along the way, our children taught us as much as we taught them.


So as this Mother's Day draws near and I reflect on my "mothering" history, it's what I've learned from my daughter that is so dear to my heart.


Katherine has taught me.....




- to follow your heart to build a life of happiness and fulfillment.



- to choose to be the person who sees the best in others.



- not to get so caught up in the business of life that you forget to do the simple things that bring you joy.



- not to get so stressed out; everything will work out in the end.



-talk less; listen more!


-have faith in people.



Thank you Patti!!!
Love, Mom


The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. 
She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. 
A mother is something absolutely new.
 ~Rajneesh

A suburban mother’s role is to deliver children obstetrically once, and by car forever after. ~Peter De Vries

I remember my mother’s prayers and they have always followed me. 
They have clung to me all my life. 
~Abraham Lincoln

Sweater, n.: garment worn by child when its mother is feeling chilly. 
~Ambrose Bierce

No comments: