Thursday, September 22, 2016

Changes at the Creek

Things have been changes here at Turkey Creek Garden-some good and some sad.

Dolly, our bossy chicken, has gone to live in Homer with our sweet chicken friends. Their flock is larger and they have roosters, both of which should solve Dolly's bossy-lossiness!

Here she is in the truck about to be delivered to her new home. She won't even look at us......she knows she's been bad, but I was still sad to leave her.

James and I went to Bonnie and Clyde Trade Days to replace her. I REALLY wanted to get a turkey for Turkey Creek Garden, but James reminded me that the hole into my coop was too small for even a modest sized turkey...


  so we settled for a red sex-linked instead. Such a pretty bird!!


 Oh well, out with the old-in with the new!! This laissez-faire attitude I now realize is essential to chicken raising. As much as I love my hens, they're just not as permanent as dogs.

Meanwhile in the little circle garden, it was also time to let go of the summer and make way for the fall; an attitude that I am happy to adopt.

Tuesday's job was going from this......


 to this.


Most of the flowers had shot their wad for the year, but I couldn't let go of the morning glories, they make my heart sing!!

Because this garden is relatively new, I needed to condition the soil. 

 I used peat moss. I had considered using mushroom compost, but it contains some degree of fertilizer and I have been amending these beds with chicken manure tea so I was a bit afraid of additional fertilizer.


 As always I was thankful for my perfect little Honda tiller; just the right size for raised beds. Soon the soil was ready for planting. I planted Brussels sprout and broccoli transplants, but am trying everything else from seed- collards, spinach, kale, arugula, lettuce.  I did put in a bed of strawberries and am looking forward to enjoying them in the spring.

By the end of the morning I had a clean, planted garden and a full burn pile!

And speaking of changes.......

 Look who can sit up in a buggy!!!
The Olive pit!!!


Love ya'll,
Shelli


Life is change.
~Heraclitus of Ephesus





No comments: