Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Blue Apron

James and I will have been married 35 years this November. That means that for 35 years I have been a lucky girl living with a man I love and admire, a man who is fun, funny, steadfast and true. He is a great dad and great granddad. But that also means that for 35 years I have been deciding what we will have for dinner.

I don't mind cooking dinner or even cleaning up afterward, but deciding what we will have for dinner is a pain in the neck and after all these years, I'm over it!! Enter Blue Apron or as we call it, Blue Bayou, because at our age your mind sort of has a mind of its own and my mind immediately replaced Blue Apron (the food service) with Blue Bayou (the water park in Baton Rouge), and when that happens at my age it is easier to just go with it. 

  
Blue Bayou (Apron) is a meal delivery service- not prepared meals, but meal ingredients. Nothing processed- all fresh. There are two meal plans, one for two people and one for four. Our plan sends us three meals for two people. We choose the meals online. There are six to choose from each week. If we don't want to receive meals on a certain week, we just cancel online for that week.




Each Friday we get this box delivered to our front door. We chose Friday as our delivery day because it fits our schedule, but you can choose the delivery day that works best for you.


The box is packed with ice packs to ensure freshness. Last Friday I was working in the garden when the FedEx guy drove up so I met him at his truck. There were a gazillion Blue Bayou boxes in there!! He told me that he delivers about 40 per day!


I remove the ingredients for our meals and store them in a plastic container in the fridge- a tip from my sister. I freeze meat, chicken, or seafood that I am not going to use immediately.
(James was telling me that a sports radio personality that he listens to was recently talking about his Blue Bayou experience and that he had really enjoyed it until they sent him rancid chicken. Then he admitted that he had let the chicken sit in his fridge for over a week. Men!)


When it is time to cook, I choose a recipe page and take its ingredients out of the container. Everything needed for the recipe is included- EVERYTHING!!! Well, that's not true, you have to use your own olive oil, salt, and pepper. Everything else is included. The recipes are easy to follow and aren't too involved. Last night bok choy was one of the ingredients and I have never cooked with it. That's one of my favorite things about Blue Bayou, the variety that it has given us after being stuck in a culinary rut.


James, who was a bit skeptical of the whole idea, has really been impressed with the meals. He has declared them tasty and ample. They are easy enough for him to prepare when I am gone to Bible study on Wednesday nights, an endeavor I believe he secretly enjoys. The three meals work perfectly for us because James plays tennis the other two nights a week and we just Lean Cuisine it those nights, then usually eat out on the weekend.

This past weekend, James and I went to New Orleans to help Katherine and Collin move into a new apartment. When we got home late Sunday, it was so nice to know that my meals for the week were planned, purchased, and waiting for me in the fridge, and I hadn't had to do a thing!! Thank you Blue Bayou!!


Love ya'll,
Shelli

If it came from a plant, eat it. If it was made in a plant, don't.
~Michael Pollan


No comments: