Friday, July 17, 2015

The Look

Everyone has their own version of "the look".  It's our favorite outfit for doing what we love.  It might be Van Gogh Starry Night yoga pants for a Saturday morning class, a well worn flannel shirt just warm enough for white perch fishing, an old T-shirt and leggings for curling up with a good book, or a pair of tennis shorts that you wear even though your wife thinks they're too short......

But the point is, everyone has those "go to" clothes that we have grown to love for a variety of reasons.  A high school football shirt from your senior year, the T-shirt from a great vacation, black leggings that have been worn to the perfect degree of softness, or sandals that are super comfortable and go with everything you own.

When it's time to get relaxed and comfy, we grab "the look" out of the closet and are good to go.

My "look" starts with a shift like my grandmother used to wear.  Some people call them a house coat. A shift is a light weight, short sleeved robe that snaps up the front and has big pockets.  I just know that every time I see one I am transported to Granny's backyard where I am helping her hang the laundry out on the line. The pockets of her shift are filled with clothespins.  She has rollers in her red hair and laughs a lot. Later she'll let my sister and me have a big bowl of vanilla ice cream with gallons of chocolate syrup poured on top.  Ah.... the shift!  

The next ingredient in my "look" is black rubber boots. When I start the day in my black rubber boots it means that I have become a dirt diggin', weed pullin', vegetable gatherin', fresh flower cuttin', recluse hiding out at Turkey Creek Garden, who gets to spend the morning readin' in a rocker on the back porch with the dogs curled up at her feet until she feels like, not has to - but feels like, going in and getting dressed to start the day.


The Look!!!!


I hope you have "a look" and get to spend a lot of time in it!!!

Love ya'll,
Shelli




“Ah! There is nothing like staying at home, for real comfort.” 



The mark of a successful man is one that has spent an entire day on the bank of a river without feeling guilty about it. 
 ~Author Unknown

For fast-acting relief, try slowing down. 
 ~Lily Tomlin


To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring - it was peace.  
~Milan Kundera

No comments: