Saturday, January 17, 2015

The Bottle Show

We're headed to Jackson, Mississippi for the annual Bottle Show.  The emphasis is on antique bottles of every kind, but that isn't all!  There will be antique advertising signs and a huge variety of smalls.

When I took down the Christmas decorations, I decorated the mantle with bottles in anticipation of our trip to Jackson.


James loves bottles.  His collection of old soda bottles is out in the hot house. I think he got interested in soda bottles when he was working for Royal Crown Cola plant owned and operated by Roger Wilson in Many. He worked there the summer of  his senior year in high school.  He delivered RCs to little stores and gas stations in the area.



I inherited two old cello bottles from my aunt, Hittie. She had them in her kitchen and usually had a sprig of ivy growing in them. I like bottles, but mainly for their color.  The unusual bottle on the left with the deep turquoise color is a reproduction Persian flask bottle.  The real, old ones were tied in pairs with strips of rawhide and then thrown over a camel's back to transport stuff via caravan.


 James read an article online about the iconic restaurants in each state of the United States.  Mississippi's is the Mayflower Cafe' in Jackson, so we are going to check it out while we are there.  We will also drop by the Old House Depot, an architectural salvage business, in pursuit of a cool screen door for the new chicken coop my dad and I are building when the weather warms up.

I'll bring back some pictures and a review of the Mayflower Cafe'.  Until then.....

                                                                                                                                Shelli


No comments: