Monday, January 5, 2015

Living Deeply

Happy New Year, again!!! I hope your holidays were fun and restful although those two rarely go hand in hand.  This morning at church I was behind a man and his wife  when someone asked how their holidays were.  The wife said they were great, but the husband added,  "I'm glad they're over! I'm sick of eating too much and having people over all the time and having the house messed up! I'm ready to get back in a routine!"

His candor was funny and I guess I never think of the holidays from a man's point of view...I'm always working on a "to do" list that seems a million miles long and never stop to reflect on much of anything leading up to Christmas.  My Sunday School ladies lamented that during the holidays they ended up going to Walmart every day for something or the other.

The holidays are a busy time, but I wouldn't trade the family time for anything.  We partied hardy this holiday season - we have lots to be thankful for.  There was our favorite Dirty Santa event followed by the children opening gifts.  We adults don't give gifts anymore - we make donations to favorite charities in honor of each other instead.  Then we had a small wedding engagement "party" with cookies and champagne in anticipation of  Katherine and Collin's April wedding. 

 
Carole taught us how to make royal icing cookies this year!  I enjoyed making these for our little party.
 

On the 28th, we had a Wonder Woman birthday party for our sister.  She loved Wonder Woman as a child and had a Wonder Woman bathing suit.  My mom's good friend, Pam, painted Jamie in that suit from a photo we took on a family outing.  The painting and the suit were the inspiration for the party and the cake; that and the fact that Jamie is our Wonder Woman.

 
What a cake!!!  Another great job by Lou Pennington!


It was all wonderful, but I must admit I agree with the man from church who missed his routine; I was ready to shift out of "busy mode" and get back to normal.  Then the pastor put what I was feeling into words when he said in Sunday's sermon that it was time for us to get back to "living deeply instead of busily".

That was it!! The time for running to Walmart every day is over and it will be great to get back to living deeply.  What does that mean to each of us?  For me it is porch/garden time, prayer/scripture time, husband/daughter/family/friends time, writing, and trying to be of some sort of service. What do you do in your daily life to give it deep meaning?  Not deep meaning to others - to you!

Having Katherine at home is a great treat! One of the things she does for us is give us private yoga lessons.  It was such fun to do yoga with my 75 year old parents and my 28 year old daughter!!! Three generations stretching and twisting and living to tell the tale; what memories! At the end of our lesson, my mom told Katherine that during that session she realized her neck was sore.  Katherine told her that her body was telling her that her next yoga session needed to focus on the neck and shoulders.  "Listen to your body; it will tell you what you need next".  She said that most people set up exercise plans they think they need such as cardio three days a week, weights two days a week, etc. rather than listening to their body and let it tell them what they really need.

Her comment stuck with me and connected with the pastor comments on living deeply.  So instead of making a list of New Year's resolutions that I think I need, I am just going to try to live deeply in 2015 listening to my heart and God tell me what that means, one day at a time. The joy is in the journey........

                                                                                       Love ya'll, Shelli




No comments: