Tuesday, August 2, 2016

August and January

Ahhh...August! I have come to love August in the same way and for the same reasons that I love January.

First they are both months where people are going back to school and I'm not.  For thirty-three years the first weeks of August found me up at the school house getting my room ready for the new year. Although I have nothing but fond memories of those times, frankly I don't want them back!! I feel the same way in January when after a hectic Christmas holiday everyone heads back to school without me and I, well I get to stay home and wallow in luxuriant laziness.

Secondly, both August and January have terrible weather. It is awesome to blame the brutal heat of August for my retreat from society. I become a hermit, not leaving my house for days on end!!  I position myself under the ceiling fan with movies, craft projects, crossword puzzles, and writing assignments nearby.  The only difference between August and January is that the ceiling fan is off and the fireplace is on. Weather becomes my excuse for living the life of a lethargic recluse!!

In fact, the only things happening at Turkey Creek Garden this time of year are those that happen by themselves -

growing butternut squash,

drying corn stalks,

preserving hydrangeas.

So here's to August and her sister month, January..... the months that allow me to revel in being a slothful, reclusive, retired school teacher!!

Love ya'll,
Shelli

Retirement is wonderful. 
It's doing nothing without worrying about getting caught at it. 
~Gene Perret

In retirement, every day is Boss's Day and every day is Employee Appreciation Day. 
~Terri Guillemets

No comments: