Friday, June 19, 2015

Tomato Time



All this rain has been great for our garden!  Our soil is sandy and we sit at the top of a hill so all the excess rain runs off.  The tomato plants have used the rain to grow big, juicy tomatoes although it did take longer than usual this year for them to turn red.

With the tomato harvest rolling in, I thought I would reprint our tomato pie recipe.  We had our first one the other night and it was delicious!!

Tomato Pie

Ingredients:

1 Pillsbury ready made pie shell (you know...they come two to a long red box)
mustard (brown, French,Di'jon, yellow....whatever you like)
 homegrown tomatoes (I don't know how many you'll need because I don't know how big your tomatoes are! I use 3 if they are large.) *My mom take the skins (peels) off her tomatoes; I only do if we're having company.
Vadalia onion, chopped
bacon, cooked (I'm ashamed to tell you how much I use, so use as much as you feel comfortable with)
basil, chopped (I use about 6 large leaves from the garden, but I'm sure you could use dried)
2 cups yellow and white cheese, grated (some reserved)
1/4 - 1/3 cup mayo  (I don't know how you feel about mayo!)
olive oil or butter
salt and pepper

Directions:

1. Slice tomatoes, sprinkle with salt (to draw out some of the liquid) and pepper, then set aside to drain.
2. Caramelize onions in olive oil or butter (or both...this way it will be healthy and taste good too)
2. Spray pie pan with Pam and lay in the pie crust.
3. Spread mustard over bottom of crust. (I can't tell you how much to use because I don't know how much you like mustard...1 Tbsp.?.....2Tbsp.?)
4. Mix mayo, onions, and most of cheese.
5. Now make your first layer. Cover the bottom of the pie shell with cheese mixture. Add some tomatoes, bacon, and basil.
6. Repeat so you have another layer.
7. Top with reserved cheese.

Bake at 400* until done. I don't really know how long this takes, maybe 30 - 45 min.
Let sit before slicing.

I hope this works out well for you!  As you can see, I am not a recipe writer!



Love ya'll, 
Shelli

No comments: