Monday, October 20, 2014

Women of the Day




I recently went home to celebrate Magda McCormick Day.  Magda was the high school guidance counselor at a local school and the mother of one of my high school friends. She was also my mother's Sunday School teacher for many years.  For me, Magda was the friendly face that took me under her wing at my husband's family reunions. 

 My husband's mom's mom was a McCormick, so once a year at Labor Day we go to the legendary McCormick reunion - and let me say that there are a lot of McCormicks!!! Even though I knew many McCormicks, especially the ones my age, I was overwhelmed by the parent, grandparents, aunts and uncles at the reunion.  At the first few reunions as a newly wed, I must have look overwhelmed because Magda always ran to my rescue giving me someone to talk to and helping me make the intricate family connections involved in any reunion.

Anyway, October 12 was designated "Magda McCormick Day".  A standing room only reception was held in the First Baptist Church.   Magda's family and friends were all there to support her and she looked beautiful.  Her influence on all the people she knew was evident in the love and support of everyone attending.





But I didn't entitle this post "Magda McCormick Day" because there were other women there who I'd like to also recognize.  I'm thinking of the women who organized Magda's day. 

Not long ago, my mom and her friends were talking about how much everyone loved Magda and that it's a shame we often don't take the time to let people know how much they mean to us.  From this was born the idea for honoring Magda. I just have to say that women are great!!  They wear so many hats - wives, mothers, friends, homemakers, employees and employers, caregivers - and yet still they take time to recognize others. (In keeping with the theme of this blog, I should say that they have many branches in their trees.) So hats off to the planners of "Magda McCormick Day"!!

                

          



Now I can't write about anything that happens in my little hometown without mentioning the heartbeat of that town, Carolyn Gandy.  Mrs. Gandy was my eighth grade English teacher.  She retired several years ago from a wonderful teaching career where she didn't just teach, she loved, nurtured, and bolstered!!!!  She was the pulse of Many Junior High School, just as she is the pulse of Many.  Not an event takes place that Mrs. Gandy isn't there with her camera to capture it all, and while she is snapping your picture she is asking about your children, your husband, your vacation, and everything in between.  A person can't remember every detail of other people's lives and  be so connected with them without selfless love and concern for everyone around her.  She is .....well, she is just amazing and our little town is a better place for having her as a citizen.  One day I'll be driving home for "Carolyn Gandy Day".

Co-planner and photographer of "Magda McCormick Day", Carolyn Gandy.
 (All the photographs in this post are by Mrs. Gandy)


So here's to all the wonderful women in our little town and the examples they set for us!!!! May we all grow strong branches of support for each other.

Love ya'll, Shelli

No comments: