Friday, September 12, 2014

Book on Wife



My husband only reads nonfiction and automotive nonfiction to boot.  That's right, owner's manuals, vintage salesman literature, vintage car magazines, and best of all "Hemmings Motor News".

  I can't imagine it!  There is nothing better than a good work of fiction. Historical novels, who dunnits, science fiction; especially in the winter on a cold, rainy day sitting by the fire....oh, my!

Well, any way, I have tried to get James to broaden his reading repertoire for years.  I bring books home from the library for him to read.....doesn't work.  I try reading him excerpts from whatever I'm reading.....really doesn't work! I had given up hope until I started reading a nonfiction book of my own recently, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.  It was required reading for my niece and nephew when they were in high school.  It is about a woman in 1951 who had cervical cancer and whose cells were taken without her knowledge (or at least without her complete understanding).  Her cells were cultured and grew into an immortal cell line used to this day for research. It is very interesting from both the ethical and medical perspectives.

Now James works in the medical field, so I just knew that I had finally found the book that we could both read and have long "book club" discussions about.  I decided to go the "excerpt reading route" again to get him hooked.  (Granted, reading excerpts had never worked in the past, but who knows if the next time will be the charm.)  I laid in wait and trapped him at his desk when he was waiting for an email to be returned. I had chosen an especially interesting selection and read it with all the inflection I could muster.  When finished, I closed the book and waited.....

                                    
 "Most people have books on tape", he said, "I have books on wife, but if I ever go blind I'll be in good shape."
 
Foiled again :(


You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. ~Paul Sweeney

Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind. ~James Russell Lowell

Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it. ~P.J. O’Rourke



Recommendations:
The Last Time They Met by Anita Shreve
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
Brother Cadfael Mysteries by Ellis Peters
Pendergast series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hossein
No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall
&
a nonfiction choice
The Disappearing Spoon: and Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World form the Periodic Table of Elements by Sam Kean

Love ya'll, Shelli

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I can see James saying that. Funny!