Thursday, August 7, 2014

Recycle, Reuse, Reduce, Redecorate

When our daughter, Katherine, was serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Madagascar I missed her terribly as you can imagine.  I was proud of the work she was doing, but I couldn't help but look forward to her homecoming.

  Because I knew she would be setting up an apartment when she came home, James and I began to pick up odds and ends for that purpose as we visited flea markets and junk shops.  It was a way of doing something for her even though she was literally half way around the world.

When she came home in spring of 2013 I had an attic and hothouse full of tables, chairs, lamps, picture frames, garden junk, iron work, mirrors, maps, curtains, etc.  (I guess I got a little carried away.)  She put together the cutest vintage, eclectic, boho style apartment you have ever seen.  Her great taste brought it all together!

But now I have a bunch of leftovers, not to mention the ordinary garage sale stuff we all accumulate over the years. Plus James and I can't resist running over to the Canton Flea Market every now and then.  I was going to have a big yard sale in the fall, but as I dug around in the attic I started pulling out things that I thought would go together to make a cute room.  Then I started painting and sewing and, well this is what I've come up with so far, all recycled and reused and hopefully reducing the amount of stuff I have in the hothouse so I can actually walk in there some time soon.

This group started with the antique iron bed.  The metal rolling cart used to be in my classroom.  The little stool was on its last leg (no pun intended) when we found it, but a good coat of paint helped everything.  Fabrics for recovering old pillows from Hobby Lobby and I did the flower painting on an existing canvas.  Added a few other things and all done.  I've put it on Craigslist and we'll see what happens.
Update: SOLD!!
 
 
Little stool before


This group started with redoing the little stool. Old bedside tables and lamps all got a coat of paint.  The shades are from Lowes.  I got them a couple of years ago, but never used them and (I'll be honest) I never got around to returning them.  Shame on me. :(  I got a big old window screen for the headboard.  It is definitely a rustique! Recovered old pillows and repurposed old canvases.
Also on Craigslist.

Update: SOLD!!




Maybe all this repurposing will qualify me as "Green".  I hope so since I can never remember my reusable grocery bags when I go into Wal Mart :(

                                                                   Love ya'll, Shelli

 

No comments: