Friday, August 1, 2014

Drinking From My Saucer

  In the garden you must add fertilizer to your plants if you want them to grow; adding nutrients for strength and vitality.  Our lives are no different, so I thought I'd write about an easy way to add nutrients to your life and grow the strong branches that this blog is about.

     How? 
 
 Count your blessings!!!! 
 
Counting our blessings helps us focus on what we have, not want we want.  Counting our blessings draws our minds away from our problems.  Counting our blessings floods our bodies with thankfulness washing out greed, envy, anxiety, and fear. 
 
My parents love a song entitled "Drinking From My Saucer 'Cause My Cup Has Overflowed" by Bill Anderson. They often start their day with this song playing in the kitchen.  What a great attitude to get you going. Here are some of the lyrics:
 
No, I'm not a man of riches,
No sir, and sometimes the going gets kinda' rough,
But I got me a good family, an old horse, and a dog;
They all love me, well that makes me rich enough.
I thank the Lord for all these, bless the mercies he has bestowed.
I'm drinking from my saucer cause my cup has overflowed.
 
The song is modern, but the sentiment isn't:
 
"My cup runneth over"
Psalm 23:5
 
 
Here are more thoughts on gratitude:
 
I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder. ~G.K. Chesterton
 
The unthankful heart... discovers no mercies; but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, as the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings! ~Henry Ward Beecher
 
We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures. ~Thornton Wilder
 
The struggle ends when the gratitude begins. ~Neale Donald Walsch
 
All that we behold is full of blessings. ~William Wordsworth

Hem your blessings with thankfulness so they don't unravel. ~Author Unknown
 
With arms outstretched I thank.
With heart beating gratefully I love.
With body in health I jump for joy.
With spirit full I live.
~Terri Guillemets
 
 
Whatever be the depth of woe
Along the path that I must go,
I'll sing my song—
My song of joy for all the love
That's lavished on us from above,
And count no loss of treasure-trove
When things go wrong.
I'll sing the sunlight, and the bright
Soft smiling stars that gem the night;
For gifts of good
That God hath spread along my way,
The lilt of birds in tuneful play,
The harvests full and flowers gay,
The whole day long
I'll sing my song
Of gratitude!
~John Kendrick Bangs (1862-1922), "My Song" (October Twenty-sixth), The Cheery Way: A Bit of Verse For Every Day, 1920



Love ya'll, Shelli


 
 


No comments: