Sunday, August 24, 2014

Country Come To Town

I haven't written in a while because I have been in the city!  My sister, Carole, just finished moving her children into apartments and dorms in the Dallas area where our other sister, Jamie, lives. I went along to carry some furniture, help decorate, and enjoy time with my sisters. 

Anyway, just being in the city is fun.  We went to Steel City Pops where they sell gourmet popsicles in all kinds of fun flavors. I had avocado and it tasted like frozen guacamole.  It was so delicious that you wanted to dip a tortilla chip into it.  We sat outside and enjoyed some people and dog watching.  Young people in cool urban clothing rode up on their bikes with dogs on fancy leashes and in fancy little baskets.  In my neck of the woods you buy popsicles in a box at Walmart and you wouldn't even consider taking your dog with you to buy them.

www.al.com


We also went to see a movie at Ipic - the Nirvana of movie theaters. We bought our tickets at a swanky, low lit counter inside the building.  Then we walked through the lounge area with a beautiful bar and pool tables.  There we were seated in plush recliners with a table next to them.  The button on the side gently reclined you until you were so laid out they could have done surgery or a root canal.  Our usher pointed out our extra pillow and blanket and handed us wine lists and menus.  Carole and I shared sliders - blackened Mahi Mahi sliders with cantaloupe and portobella mushroom sliders with goat cheese. That's right, they have fancier food at movie theaters in the city than they do at any restaurant in our entire town. Later when I got home and was sitting on the back porch listening to the cicadas, I decided that Ipic theaters were kinda hedonistic, but it's a hedonism I hope to enjoy every time I am in the city!


www.dallasnews.com


Speaking of hedonism, we've been to Top Golf on other Dallas trips.....


www.9news.com

But I think the best part of city life has to be the grocery stores. We love Jamie's Whole Foods , but on this trip we went to Central Market.  Oh my goodness!! We stood there gawking at more apple varieties than our feeble minds could imagine.  We sampled lychee and passion fruit.  We were amazed by mushrooms that looked like they came from a planet in the Dagobah system. I bought my husband, the king of grilled sausage, spinach goat cheese sausage and hatch pepper cheddar chicken sausage.  Then we rounded the corner and entered the bakery section where Handel's Messiah is piped in over the speakers and shoppers stand paralyzed in front of counters laden with pastries that looked like they were flown in from Paris. My favorites were Jesuites, an almond cream filled pastry that gets it's name from being shaped like a Jesuit's hat.  Returning to my local Walmart is going to be such a let down.


I'm definitely a country girl, but a country girl that can truly appreciate a city visit.

                                                                                    Love ya'll, Shelli





No comments: