Thursday, September 24, 2015

No Dig Pallet Fence Update



Well, the no dig pallet fence is finished!

The gate is hung, although in my stubbornness I built a gate that was very heavy.  I was inspired by one we saw at the Dallas Arboretum.


My dad and the Arboretum's gate.

My version

The gate was so heavy that we decided it needed posts to hold it up and help it swing properly, but it is free standing and not attached to the rest of the fence.  I think that a lightweight gate could have been supported by the fence, thus creating a totally post hole free structure.

Next is was time for paint and stain.  I didn't want another white picket fence and my mom suggested white posts with stained pickets. The white posts tie it in with our white house, while the stained pickets give it a fall/winter rustic feel.  Hanging bird houses on the utility pole in the center created a focal point.







James and the dogs helped get soil into the raised beds and fall crops were planted: kale, spinach, collard greens, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, lettuce, arugula, cilantro, and Brussels sprouts. Yum!!



DONE and DONE!!!



Love ya'll,
Shelli

It is good to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought. 
~James Douglas

1 comment:

Jamie said...

The new garden looks beautiful with white posts, awesome gate and bird houses!! You are so talented!! I love it!!