Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Are You Ready???

Remember our tulip bulbs that we put into the refrigerator back in October? 





 Well, it's time to plant them.

  I used to plant my tulips in early December, on my dad's birthday in fact, but I since learned that planting them that early increases the chance that when they bloom there will still be danger of frosty mornings.  So this year I am planting later so that it should be warmer when they bloom creating conditions for prettier blooms.

I plant in beds across the front porch and also put a few out in front of the garden gate.  They should be planted at a depth of about 5 inches here in the South.  Planting in groups is prettier than planting in a row.  They should be about 3 - 4 inches apart.  Then I will plant over the beds with pansies IF I can still find any!  I really need to remember to buy my pansies in the Fall when all the nurseries have a big selection, and then hold them for planting at this time.  But I wonder if I could plant the pansies early and then insert my tulip bulbs.  Well, something to experiment with next year.

This year I am also going to try planting some bulbs in pots on the back porch. (As you may know, I am raising two puppies so the only plants I can have on the porch will need a safe perch high up on the table.) The LSU AgCenter website has a helpful hint for planting tulips in pots:


"There is a trick with tulips. Look carefully and you will see that one side of the bulb is flattened. Plant the bulbs so that the flat side faces the outside edge of the pot. The first leaf the bulbs send up will all face the outside, creating a more attractive presentation."

For me, planting tulips kicks off the spring garden season and I get SO excited!  It's time to order seeds and prepare to germinate them for spring planting.  Prep work for new garden projects starts now too. I am playing with plans for a new fall garden area - round with pie wedge raised beds.  James and I will soon be cleaning out the back corner of the existing garden to make room for the chicken coop.  Looking forward to biddies in the spring!!!

But the best thing about this time of year is the upcoming garden seminars!! Master Gardeners all around the state will be hosting informative seminars with great guest speakers and fabulous door prizes.  Our North Central Mater Gardeners' seminar is Saturday, February 7. (More on it to come.)


Well, I hope you enjoy the upcoming cold winter days in a toasty warm house, planning fun spring garden projects!!

Nature looks dead in winter because her life is gathered into her heart.
She withers the plant down to the root that she may grow it up again fairer and stronger.
She calls her family together within her inmost home to prepare them for being scattered abroad upon the face of the earth.
 ~Hugh Macmillan, "Rejuvenescence," The Ministry of Nature, 1871

                                                                                              Love ya'll,
                                                                                              Shelli



No comments: