Thursday, November 17, 2016

Another Dog Hair and Potato Peelings Project

One fall, many years ago, I was happily decorating my house and set a little pumpkin atop a stack of favorite books on a side table in the den. It added a sweet, casual touch. Several weeks later a noticed  that sweet little pumpkin looked a little smaller than it had originally. Upon closer inspection, it was smaller because it was rotting and its insides were oozing all over the back of my books. Yuck!!

That's about the time Hobby Lobby started selling fake pumpkins and I quit using real ones in certain places. It was a great investment. Today I still use many of those same pumpkins, but a few of them have faded in the sun or gotten nicked and scratched so that their white foam insides are showing. I decided I should just throw them away and buy new ones, but then I went to Mama's.


Out on her front steps sat this beautiful pot of fake pumpkins. I asked where she had bought such pretty ones and she said they were old ones she had painted!!! She used plain craft paints and then sprayed them with a clear coat.


She painted a base coat with one color and sponged another color on top to get a more realistic result.


They are fabulous!!
Another great dog hair and potato peelings project!


And the best thing about the dog hair and potato peelings approach to projects is that you love the results so much more than something you just go out and buy.

Repurpose! Reuse! Recycle!

Love ya'll,
Shelli

Think left and think right and think low and think high.
Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!
~Dr. Seuss


No comments: