Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Gardening In The City

I love visiting the city. Small specialty stores, neighborhood restaurants, and the local coffee shop all at your fingertips make city living so convenient. Add in the millions of events happening every weekend and I can understand why many people wouldn't live anywhere else. However, I need gardening therapy to get me through the day; my peace of mind depends on it. Not having room to garden would keep me from becoming a city dweller.

But while I was staying in New Orleans, Katherine and Collin recommended that I visit Hollygrove.




Hollygrove is divided into halves with their shop in the middle. On one half is the large garden tended by community volunteers. The other half is individual garden plots tended by individual gardeners. The shop in the middle sells produce grown in the garden. 



I was there in March and the garden was transitioning from fall to summer vegetables. I was happy to see fall vegetables that had gone to seed lingering in the garden to attract and sustain the pollinators.


I couldn't get a good picture of this design plan. I would have needed to climbed a ladder to show you that the gardener laid out the rows in concentric circles. It was a fun design for a small plot. And who doesn't like colorful, edible nasturtiums.

When we visit my sister in Dallas we often enjoy yummy Mexican food at Gloria's Restaurant located in The Village at Fairview.  They, too, have a community garden for their residents. 



Their website says, "The Village Garden is a community garden with 55 private, raised beds, seven larger community/pantry plots, and a small orchard. The garden is open to area residents, to supply fresh vegetables and herbs for their own families, as well as families that depend on The ACO Food Pantry for their basic needs."


People just love gardening! Whether you live in the city or the country, nothing tastes better than a home grown tomato!!

Love ya'll,
Shelli

The greatest gift of the garden is the restoration of the five senses. 
~Hanna Rion

No comments: